Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Four Children Later...

My baby turned one a few days ago, and as I lament time gone too fast, I have been compiling a list on what I have learned about life with four kids:

  1. When I was pregnant with number 4, people often commented that four was much easier than three.  It's not.  Nick and I are completely outnumbered, 2 to 1.  There are times when we just sit back and laugh with a giant, "Alright children!  You win!" 
  2. There isn't a quiet or dull moment.  Ever.
  3. I have been waiting for the day when I have all four children crying at the same time.  It has yet to come.  Three kids crying, yes, that is a regular occurrence.  But all four?  I don't know why, but the kids haven't orchestrated that one yet.
  4. Sitting down for a peaceful cup of coffee is a far off dream.  It is one of the laws of the universe that as soon as I sit down, someone will need something.  Every. Single. Time.
  5. There is a lot of love to go around.  One of my greatest joys has been to watch my children interact with each other.  There was a tiny part of me that wondered if my new baby would get enough love or be neglected with all of the other activity.  Nope.  This little guy is the most loved member of the family.  Every little milestone he reaches is celebrated and noted by his older siblings.  Love is lavished on him, and he spreads his own love as well.
  6. I don't need to exercise to burn calories.  Running around meeting the ever-constant needs of these kiddos is enough.
  7. Another law of the universe:  My entire house will never be clean.  I clean one room, move onto the next, and within 10 minutes, the kids will have moved into the first room and set up a fort.  Or a store.  Kids gravitate towards the cleanest area in the house.  And that is never their own room.  Ever.
  8. I have laughed more as a parent than ever before.  Who doesn't laugh when you look out the window and see your children stripped down to their underwear singing "London Bridge" and doing cartwheels?
  9. Third law of the universe:  There isn't a meal in the world that I can make that everyone will like.  The kid who liked it the night before will hate it the second night, and the kid who hated it the first night will loudly declare, "I love it!!"  the second time through.
  10.  Parenting four children is exhausting.  I have never worked harder, but I have never been more content.  There is nothing more fulfilling than being a parent.  The kids are my life and my joy.  Children ARE life.  They are a constant reminder that there is good left in this world.  They are a constant reminder that my life is not about me or my own comfort.  Life is about pouring yourself out for others.  And as my living room is currently being turned into a doll park, they remind me that this brief moment of writing is DONE!

4 comments:

  1. What a fantastic post! You have captured the interesting-ness (is that a word?) of having more children than the 'world' thinks is normal.

    May God continue to bless you with all the joy and happiness you can squeeze out of these too-fast-moving moments with little ones.

    Blessings
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Karen! I always appreciate your encouragement!

      Delete
  2. I loved this list. I have my own thoughts on three and we talk a lot about what if four? Little ones are such an outrageous blessing and I feel burdened to encourage the young moms around me to see them as blessings. It is hard, sanctifying work to raise kids, yes. But like you said, the most rewarding thing I have ever pursued. And I am doubly blessed when I see what a joy they are to others. Their sweet light shines bright. So happy to see you enjoying motherhood. Many blessings on your many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jessica! It is good to hear from you and I sure enjoy keeping track of your beautiful, growing family. They sure are wonderful! Blessings to you and yours as well!

      Delete